Skip to main content

Correcting social security number

Seattle, WA |

FIA card services opened a credit card account for me through Bank of America. The bank sent me a letter informing me that they were unable to verify my SS# and I was never able to access the account online. B of A said it was FIA, and FIA said it was B of A, no one wanted to take responsibility for the error. The account has gone to collections. I disputed the account with the collector and haven't heard anything since, however, the account is showing up on my credit report as a bad debt.

+ Read More

Filed under: Credit Social security
Attorney answers 1


I am not licensed to practice law in your state.

Dispute the debt with the credit bureaus. They are required to investigate with the creditors. This may get the matter cleared up. If not, you may have a claim for violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Try the link for an attorney in your area to assist you.

This information is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.