Skip to main content

Correct me if I'm wrong.. To my understanding he can do the 16 months and be eligible for parol but if its denied he stays?

San Antonio, TX |
Attorney answers 3


The 1/3 you are referring to is for probation, not jail time. Someone can apply to get off probation early if they complete 1/3 or 2 years of their probation, whichever is less. For jail time, it depends on the offense and what level of the justice system you are in. Federal cases usually do 85% of their time. State cases that are 3G or affirmative finding of deadly weapon have to serve 50%. All other cases depends, but can be as low as 10% of the jail sentence depending on what they accomplished in jail

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!


If you are talking about parole, the person does whatever amount of time it takes to become eligible under the rules in force at the time of his offense. Once eligible, a parole board makes a decision on whether to grant parole or not. If parole is not granted, most times there is a 2 year set off from the initial denial. There is no appeal.

If you want to try to ensure the earliest possible parole, hire a lawyer who specializes in putting together parole packets.

Cynthia Henley


See my answers to your previous questions.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.