Skip to main content

Converting from H4 to F1 and getting stamped on F1.

San Francisco, CA |


My wife is currently on H4 and planning for admission in college i.e. F1. Her H4 is expiring on NOV/2013. What are the best ways for her to get stamped on F1 ? (I know stamping on F1 is not required as long as she stays in US, but if she has any plans to visit home country.)

1) Do she need to visit home country to get F1 stamped ?
2) Can she visit Canada/Mexico to get her F1 stamped?
3) Are there any foreseen consequences ?
4) If possible, please suggest me the best place that she can go for her F1 stamping where there are more chances of getting F1 stamped without any issues..

Thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

She would need to make an appointment at the U.S. Consulate for the F-1 Stamp. Keep in mind if they do not believe she intends on returning to her home country after expiration of the F-1, they could deny her entry to the U.S.

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at


1) Home country
2) Not recommended
3) Could be rejected
4) Home country or country where the last degree was awarded

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


The best way is for her to apply for the F-1 visa stamp in her home country.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer