Skip to main content

Contested Divorce vs. Uncontested Divorce forms and options for online download in Florida?

Miami, FL |

I am trying to file for divorce and will be representing myself. My husband is not in the country and he will not be present for a final hearing. We are both in agreement. He will sign the paperwork I give him, notarize it in his country, and send it back to me.

I got a package from the Self-Help Courthouse for a simplified, uncontested divorce with no children and some debt. I think I would rather go the route to actually serve him, where he would have 20 days to respond and would not have to be present for the final hearing.

What is the different between the two packages (contested and uncontested)? And can I download the extra forms I need?

(I have forms H, A-3, A-2, I, K, II, ZZ, and Acknowledgement of Receipt. For him, L-2, I, K, and Form QQ for both, which is the Martial Settlement Agreement.)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


We use our own forms, that we have created over many years of practicing law. The forms available online have instructions. Read them.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.


Most of the forms that you would need can be found at the link below. As has been suggested, be very careful to read all of the instructions. Good luck!

This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should contact an attorney to fully discuss your issues.


I agree with the responses above. Most attorneys have created their own forms over time. However, you can definitely use the ones in the Self-Help Package that you obtained from the court since those are Florida Supreme Court approved. Just make sure you read the instructions carefully. Contested Divorce means that there are some issues (assets, debt, children, etc) which the parties are unable to agree on and which must be resolved by the judge at a hearing. Uncontested means simple the contrary, that the parties have reached an agreement as to all the possible issues (i.e., marital assets, time-sharing, etc.) and can enter into a Marital Settlement Agreement. Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Leticia Dieppa


Uncontested means neither of you is contesting the divorce. As in you both agree about divorcing and have made an agreement on how things will be divided. Contested means that there are issues for the court to decide because both of you are not in agreement. My office can offer you a free 15 minute consultation. You would be surprised how cheap an uncontested divorce can be and all you'll have to do is show up for hearing which could be within 27 days with an attorney. You will have to wait a while to get a hearing if you are unrepresented.