Skip to main content

Contempt of Court on custody visitation

Saint Petersburg, FL |

My ex and I are going to court tomorrow because when he picks up our daughter for his visitation, he never brings her home or to school. When we got divorce, the court order was designed for him to pick her up on Friday after school and bring her to school on Monday but since then he has moved more then 50 miles away and he claims that he can't bring her to school on Monday. He told me that in a text that if I want her to go to school on Monday, I would have to come and get her myself on Sunday night . I have called the police and sheriff's office and no one can help me. So I went to my local court house and filed "Contempt of Court" paperwork against him. Will this help? Will the courts do anything or am I wasting the courts time? Thank you for your time

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Sounds like you are handling this correctly.

Next time out, think about retaining an attorney. You would have a good chance for the Court ordering reimbursement of your attorney fees and costs.



I tried but I couldn't afford the attorney upfront. She wanted 2500 dollar and I simply couldn't afford that.


He should have filed a Petition for relocation, so yes, a contempt action is proper.


In this situation, your actions seem quite appropriate. If the current time-sharing plan is no longer convenient for him, it is in your daughter's best interests to modify it so that there is not this uncertainty of what will happen on Monday.

Please note that without more specific information, I am unable to provide a definitive answer to your question. Please accept my answer for informational purposes only and I hope it will give you a starting point in seeking legal representation.


As previously mentioned, contempt is appropriate. However, it appears that you case is ripe for a modification of the time-sharing, especially since the father's move. You should consult with a family attorney in your area as to all your options at this juncture. Good luck!

This communication is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


I think that you are heading in the right direction. He has to comply with the Final Judgment. If you lay out to the judge that he is not doing that which is written then you should be in good shape. Good luck!

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


This is not a police matter, you have to file the motion for contempt then go back to court and change the schedule.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer