Skip to main content

Contempt of court in family law case (California).

Fresno, CA |

What forms do I file for contempt of court in a custody case in California. My ex is violating our standing court order and I need to bring this to the courts attention. I just can't seem to find what forms to file. Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A family law contempt proceeding in California is initiated by filing and serving FL-140 Order to Show Cause and Affidavit for Contempt, along with an applicable Affidavit of Facts Constituting Contempt (FL-411 or FL-412). These forms and all others in California are available for download at:

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


There was a typo in my previous answer. The correct form number is actually FL-410, not FL-140.


In addition to what Brian has said, the court's self help center can give you the forms and tell you how to fill them out, file and serve them. Check at your county's family law court to find the right office.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer