Skip to main content

Contact USCIS by mail, after applying for a change of status

Montville, NJ |

I have applied for a F1 visa. All the documents have been mailed to USCIS. After a month later, i was reviewing my documents, i noticed, there was a mistake by the lawyer. I am quite scared, can i contact USCIS by mail and update on this issue, before they issue any rfe or denial.

Is this acceptable.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


No. You'll need to wait and respond to the RFE, if any. Also, if it was the lawyer's mistake then it would be beyond your control and as such, you may have an argument to have this corrected. I don't know what was the mistake so I can't comment further. Good luck.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.


Instead, talk to the lawyer and ask to correct the error. Lawyers are humans. Not super-humans. No reason to get scared.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


You can try. You may wish to speak with your attorney first.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Contact you attorney to fix the error.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


You should discuss the mistake with your lawyer. (S)he will know how to contact USCIS and correct the error. A change of status (COS) to F-1 usually takes a few months, so the sooner you attend to it, the better.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.


Contact your lawyer and discuss it with him

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.


Best to discuss it with your lawyer