Skip to main content

Consumer collections small claims vs. civil cases pro bono

Concord, CA |

I have not been able to get pro bono representation because with the amount the collection agency is asking for is 10,500
I actually do not owe this debt..and there are a lot of layers to my case
at this point how can I get legal aid to stop the judgment ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry but you may not be able to if they have financial limits. you may have to represent yourself if there is no chance you will go be incarcerated, if you have a defense, write it down, simplify it and practice it with friends and see what they think.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Start by trying to work with opposing counsel. Provide the evidence you have that you do not owe the money. Ultimately you might have to pay some money to settle it, but that is better than the whole thing, plus attorney fees and costs.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


A consumer collections case is NOT Small Claims. You need an attorney, and you need to hire one ASAP. Dealing with a collection agency/collection law firm, even for lawyers can be a daunting task. If you feel you do not owe the debt and want/need to fight it, then, no matter what, you are going to have to pay someone.

Speak to a collection law lawyer, ASAP. Do not let your rights be effected!

-Adam Jaffe Law Office of Adam Jay Jaffe PO Box 2437 Camarillo, CA 93011-2437 (805) 504-2223 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice". Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different states.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer