Skip to main content

Consequences for violation of probation under Oregon criminal code

Portland, OR |

my boyfriend drunk and blacked out so that he doesn't remember, but he tried to go into someone elses house because it was across the street from where he lived and he thought it was his house. There were young girls having a party there and they were scared so they called the police, and he was tried and found guilty of "attempted sex abuse" and put on five years probation. So he lived in Portland for those five years after that he returned to panama then he went back to states to work he went to ask for her ID and they told him Now they informed him that he should have re-registered in 2006, when he was still on probation. I don't know all the details, but I think his probation (or maybe it's parole) officer told him it was okay to go to Panama, but they it turned out the authorities sa

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I see many questions on avvo in which people want to do what is going to happen to them because of such and such an offense or parole violation. In truth no one except your lawyer can even give you an approximate answer to that question because it depends on so many variables: your state’s laws and procedures, your criminal history if any, whether there are any sentencing enhancements, whether your state has diversion programs for your offense. These kinds of questions really require that you contact a local lawyer and even then they can only give you a range.


I practice in Michigan and laws vary from state to state as do the local practices of courts, prosecutors from county to county. It is difficult for me to believe that any probation or parole officer would ever tell someone that it was "okay" to even leave the state, let alone the country without prior court approval. The cirucmstances and background of what happened in the underlying offense at this point really are not relevant. The fact remains that he is on probation/parole and is alleged to have violated the same. Failing to comply with sex offender registration is not only a violation of conditions of probation/parole but in most jurisdictions is a new crime in and of its' self. The consequences for violating probation are potentially the maximum sentence for the orignal offense. So, for example if the original offense carried a maximum penalty of 10 years than a person who violates probation faces up to a maximum of 10 years.


it's hard to nail down the question. if the question is about sex offender registration, which issue seems buried late in the narrative, the answer is fairly simple: if your boyfriend is a convicted sex offender, convicted of attempted sex abuse, he's obligated to register in a manner defined by law, and failing to do so is a crime itself. their are circumstances where some can seek relief from their reporting obligation, but that is a judicial proceeding, and not an operation managed by probation/parole type officers.

if the question is about boyfriend leaving the country with/without his p.o.'s permission while on probation, there is not enough information to give a decent answer. seek legal assistance.