Skip to main content

Conditional Green Card Holder & name change

Riverview, FL |

I'm a conditional green card holder & I want to take my husband's name, I know I have to change my driver's license / Social Security card and update my bank accounts, but I want to know if there's a way for me to change my last name on my green card as well?
I have to remove the conditions of my residence on 2013 but I don't want to wait until then to also change my name; also I have to renew my passport from my country of origin and I'm planning to have the name change; is it possible to have my name change before removing the conditions on my residency?? . Thanks for the help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

My colleagues are correct; you can file the I-90 and if you qualify you may also be able to fiel the I-912 waiver.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


You can change your name on your green card to your married name by submitting form I-90 to the USCIS.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


You can file an I-90.


If you wish to change the name on your card now, you will have to file Form I-90 and pay the required fee of $450. It is probably easier (and cheaper) for you to wait until you apply to remove the conditions and indicate that you are taking your husband's name then.

Good luck!

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. A consultation with an experienced attorney is always the best way to go.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer