Company did not dicipline an employee who phsyicaly assaulted me can i be forced to work with this man

Mansfield, OH |

saturday morning i was jumped and assaulted by a coworker away from cameras and wittnesses and left bleeding from the face for all who eventually came out to leave. i called the police and made a report still at work where it happened also pressed charges him . 12 hours later i showed up to find that my assailant will not be written up or fired and i was to play nice supervisor said i could loose my job if i dont drop the charges i have a 12 hour shift wednesday and dont want to go to work

Filed under: Employment Civil rights

Best Answer

I agree with Mr. Sauter and Mr. Hudson. Use Avvo to find an experienced employment attorney in Richland County. Speak to several and hire the one you feel most comfortable with. It is rather curious that the company is taking the side of the offender rather than the victim. You should also call the Richland County prosecutor's office and ask for hel from the victim advocate. Good Luck.

http://www.defendme.net | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

thank you mr. regan

James Regan

James Regan

Very welcome.

Its difficult to fully answer your question without knowing your employer and your employee status. It would be wise for you to consult with an experienced labor and employment attorney, who could advise you of your rights. It is also important to consider that you may have a cause of action against your co-worker based on the alleged assault. You can pursue a civil action against the co-worker while the criminal action action is pending.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.

thank you mr. sauter , i speak with an attorney wednesday befor work . i am not looking to be compensated , i only want my employer to observe its own zero tolerance policy . i cannot beleive i have to work with him

I agree with Mr. Sauter. You should see a worker's comp attorney who also handles third party claims [if the attorney's office does not know what that means, call another attorney]
As to the issue of "dropping charges" you do not have that option.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

thank you mr. Hudson