Skip to main content

Collection company has not responded to my validation of debt letter....what do I do?

Sanger, CA |

On 09/13/2012 I received a letter from a collection agency claiming to collect on the behalf of AT&T wireless for an account that went to collections over 2 years ago. Within a week of receiving the letter I mailed the company a validation of debt letter via certified mail/ return receipt. It has been over 30 days and the company has not provided me with anything to confirm the validity of the account. Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, companies must comply or delete the impormation from my credit file. I disputed the account since it is only being reported by Equifax and not TransUnion and Experian. Equifax gave me the results of the investigation claiming the debt is mine and it was verified to be me. I demanded proof from the company reporting and Equifax and neither one will

provide me with a cell phone statement from AT&T (original creditor) with my name and address on it or anything linking me this account. I am very frustrated and dont know what else to do. Any information on the matter would be helpful.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Keep a file. If they file suit against you then it may prove to be useful.

This answer does not create an attorney client relationship between you and I. I am not your attorney unless we both sign a written contract that describes our relationship and terms of the representation. Any information provided to you here is not a substitute for the advice you need to pursue any legal matter. I advise you to retain the services of a local attorney before taking any legal action in this matter.



I just sent my Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft report and my police department Identity Theft report to all three major credit bureaus last week to remove two collections which were being reported. I called today and those two accounts were removed by all three bureaus. I then asked the representative if I could just go back to the police department and ask them to ammend my report and add this new collection and they said "yes" and to just send it in so they could investigate this new account.


If the account is not yours then you have FCRA claims against Equifax and the furnisher of the information (the collection agency). You should contact a consumer attorney in your area to bring a FCRA claim to clear your credit. If you have trouble locating an attorney check on Good Luck.

The answer given is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Dwight Bowen is a bankruptcy and consumer attorney and may be contacted at (404) 880-3310.


It sounds as though you may have a cause of action for a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). You should continue to maintain good notes and consult with a local FCRA attorney for guidance and direction.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer