Skip to main content

Collecting summary judgement without social security number.

Brookline, MA |

Hello, is it possible to collect money from a defendant if they have not revealed their social security number or their full name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should speak about this with your attorney, he or she will be in the best position to discuss the details and options with you.

In general, if one goes to a bank and says "please pay me this court ordered judgement from Bill's account" I doubt the bank will provide one with any funds.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.


Obviously, you would need a name. Otherwise, where to begin? A ss# is likely not necessary, but a name certainly would be? How do you have the right to collect without a name anyway? Absent an agreement with the defendant, any collection you attempt will require court action and court process, thru which you can obtain information about the defendant's assets against which you can enforce the collection. But without the defendant's name, you cannot even file suit.



Well of course we do have the persons name, but not their full name. I filed an lawsuit against him a few months ago and he responded and we went to trial and I won the case. But ever since any attempt to collect money has been a futile dead end.

Thomas J Callahan

Thomas J Callahan


If you have a judgment, start a supplementary process case against him in the District Court that has jurisdiction where he lives, and then you can examine him under oath as to his assets, and then you go from there. If you already know if he owns real estate, get an execution for your judgment and then have the sheriff levy on the real estate.


In theory, you can file a supplementary process proceeding, which is a "follow-up" lawsuit, designed to assist you in enforcing a judgment. The supplementary process procedure will require them to attend court and give information on their ability to pay, assets, and so on. You can obtain the information you seek in that proceeding.

The value of a supplementary process proceeding will really depend on the underlying facts, including your ability to find and serve the defendant. You should consult an attorney for advice.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.


If a defendant is properly identified, meaning first and last name and correct address, then an enforceable judgment can enter even if the "full name" including middle name(s) or initials are not included. If the judgment is not paid, the defendant can be brought back in to court for a supplementary process, in which the plaintiff can question the defendant under oath and/or the defendant may have to complete an affidavit requiring the identification.


Do you know where they live? It may be possible to file suit against them and then amend later to reflect their actual name. The answer is yes, but it may be difficult.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer