Skip to main content

Collecting from a judgment

Monroe, NY |

I received a default judgment against somebody in the amount of $15,000 what can I do with it and how can I collect it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Do you know where the person banks? If yes, go to court and get an information subpoena and restraining notice (there are other needed forms). You might want to let a sheriff or marshall or collections attorney try to collect.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


There are many options, but in general the more information you have on your debtor, the better. There are wage garnishments, bank seizures, and other devices, but they are difficult to do properly without knowing the procedure to collect.

Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure Defense, Consumer Defense and other areas of general practice primarily in Suffolk & Nassau County. His office, Alarcon Law Firm, practices only in New York State and offers the best attorney rates in the Long Island area. His office may be reached at (631) 867-2348.


If you know where they work you can contact a local Marshall or Sheriff and have them send the debtor notice of a wage garnishment of up to 10% of their salary.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer