Skip to main content

Collect child support from another state?

Tacoma, WA |

My ex-husband owes me back child support for our daughter and never sends any money, which I very much need, and now he lives in another state (Oregon). How can I make him pay me? Should I talk with Washington state courts or with Oregon state courts to enforce child support? Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The Division of Child Support will collect the child support for you. There may be an annual fee of $25.

More information is at .

The state governments work with each other to collect child support. So, if the father works for any legitimate employer, child support will be taken from his paycheck.

Michael A. Aronoff

Michael A. Aronoff


When you go to the DSHS website, you will se a link for the necessary forms. Be sure to give them an itemization showing when he stopped paying. In addition, if it has been a very long time, you can take the matter into the court here and have the arrears reduced to a judgment and have 12% simple interest added to all delinquent payments and they will also then collect the back interest. That can be substantial. See the court faciliator for help with paperwork.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer