Skip to main content

Code of ethics

Flemington, NJ |

Can a lawyer charge you monthly flat fees 1,500.00 500.00 so on while your case is deemed closed, while his office hasnt provided you with a " itemized statement" of the " work done " . No matter how many different ways I ask for itemization, of work performed, I have yet to see, what work was done for the charges on my statement. .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Monthly flat fees that vary? Something does not sound right. Do you have a written contract with the attorney? I suggest that you review your contract and see how it was agreed that you would be billed. Generally an attorney will bill by the hour and provide an itemization. Have you requested the itemization in writing? Do you have a copy of your request? If not, I suggest that you put your concerns in writing and demand an itemization, keeping a copy of your letter. If you cannot resolve the issue with the attorney, you may wish to find out if there is a mediation or arbitration program in your State to resolve billing issues with attorneys. You could find this out by calling the State Bar.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree, this sounds odd. Review your contract, demand (in writing) an itemized statement. Send your letter via certified mail.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.


You need to review your retainer agreement to determine what it requires you to pay and when. You may wish to have it reviewed by another attorney for a second opinion. You should also demand an itemization, in writing. Good luck.

A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.