Skip to main content

Co-borrower on duplex in Rhode Island

Lincoln, RI |

I am a co-borrower with my son in law on a property. I am on the mortgage and deed.
My daughter is not on either one. Pending divorce, Does my daughter have any interest in property or am I entitled to half and my daughter one quarter. Can I quitclaim my interest
to her after she files for separation?

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce
Attorney answers 1


Your daughter's interest will depend on the divorce laws in the State of Rhode Island. You are a one-half owner of the property.

If your daughter has not already retained an attorney, I would recommend she do so. Before you change the title to the property you should inform her attorney of all pertinent facts.

I have changed the practice area to family law. This may assist you with getting more helpful suggestions.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer