Skip to main content

Class d felony theft from employer

Angola, IN |

A little over $3400 worth of merchandise. They got all of their merchandise back, most of it still in the original packaging. I'm 24 years old and have absolutely no prior record. I completely cooperated with the police. I would love to plead to a . . misdemeanor. Is that possible? Also, considering they got everything back, should I have to pay any restitution?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You might be able to plead it down to a misd. Consult with an attorney ASAP, as there may be prorams available for first offenders. He or she can advise you about restitution but it appears there will be little if any, but there will be court costs.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.


Restitution can only be ordered to make a victim whole. You say "most" was in original packaging. Any not in original packaging may have hugely diminished value and the Court can and will order you to pay that amount. I doubt a direct plea to a misdemeanor will be possible but a plea to a D felony with leave to seek amend of the charge to an A misdemeanor is more likely. Neither option is likely without experienced counsel.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:


If the case is in Steuben County, there is a good chance they will offer you a misdemeanor. You should contact an attorney who is experienced in criminal defense in Steuben County. Feel free to call me to schedule an appointment.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer