Skip to main content

Claiming back child support owed? how to get the money owed to us.

Mount Clemens, MI |

My ex owes back child support totaling around $15,000, and she currently paying $25/week for her current child support she owes not for the back child support because she is unemployed but she is remarried and her husband has a job. They share taxes can his tax money go towards the backed owed child support. Because she still owes the money and hasn't paid any of it back in years. How do we get our money back.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Contact the AG's office and tell them you want to charge her.


The new husband's child support cannot be considered as income to your ex for purposes of calculating child support, or for collection on arrearage. However, you may want to seek a legal consultation to determine what more you can do to collect on that substantial arrearage. While you could complain to the prosecuting attorney's office or the Attorney General's office (depending on your county) that she should be charged with felony non-support, that might result in time behind bars, and guess how much money she will have to pay on her arrearage then? It seems self-defeating to me, and better to work with the FOC and private counsel to pursue your remedies. Good luck to you.

This comment is designed for general information only, and should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.


I would recommend you see an attorney and explore what can be done regarding collection of the arrearage. You are a judgment creditor and there are a number of avenues which can be taken unless she has been very smart with new husband.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer