Skip to main content


Laurel, MD |

What should a person do, if has lived in the U.S since 9 years old but isn't a citizen, and has no kind of id to apply for citizenship?

The person is 23 right now. The person has been convicted before and went to jail for about 2 years for robbery. Didn't have any problems since then besides traffic offenses. The person was brought by the mother by using another persons papers is what I know and now is dealing with issues like not being able to get his driver's licence or anything in that matter. Has a 1 year old kid also.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

In order to analyze whether this person can apply for a green card through a family or employer's sponsorship, I need to find out:
- How old is this person today;
- When did the person enter the US;
- Was his entry with or without a visa;
- Did anyone ever sponsor him or his parents when he was under 21;
- Has this person ever left the United States, if so when?
- Did this person or his parents ever appear before an Immigration Judge for deportation/removal proceedings?
- Has this person ever been arrested for any criminal offense?

If you give me more information, there might be something that can be done to help this person. If you want a short telephone consultation, call my office at (410) 992-6602.


If this person entered the United States before Jan. 1, 1972, and can prove he/she has resided continuously in the United States, and can show that they are a person of good moral character, that they are not ineligible for citizenship, not deportable as a terrorist or Nazi, and not inadmissible under §212(a) insofar as it relates to criminals, procurers and other immoral persons, subversives, violators of the narcotics laws and smugglers of aliens, then that person can apply for lawful permanent residence.

This is a process called "Registry" and is found under section 249 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer