Skip to main content

City of Los Angeles: How can I evict this person from my home?

Los Angeles, CA |

Written for a 78 year old lady. I own a single family home with single family zoning. I allowed a friend of an acquaintance to move in with me about 18 months ago. This person paid me money monthly. I now need the room and the person is intermittent on paying. I verbally told this person several times in the past months that I need for her to move. She says she is financially unable to. This is a single family home and there are no written agreements. What can I do to get this person out?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

As long as the person is the only person renting a room, she is a lodger. You have two options: 1) serve her with a 3-day notice to pay rent or quit; 2) serve her with a 30 day notice since she is paying month to month. If she doesn't move out, she is a trespasser and you could enlist the aid of the local authorities to eject her. No unlawful detainer is required. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference



Thank you..... If she has not paid the rent after the 3 day notice has been properly served and has not vacated the house, can we legally place her belongings in her inoperable car and roll it out to the curb or do I have to call the Sheriff?


Because she is technically classified under California law as a "lodger" you can give her a 30-day notice and then have her evicted by the sheriff as a trespasser when she doesn't leave. Also, because she pays late, you can issue a 3-day notice to pay or quit on the basis of non-payment if she doesn't pay on time next month. However, if she doesn't leave and you proceed to filing an eviction action against her, she could potentially drag it out for a few months before finally leaving. The 30-day notice to evict her as a lodger sounds like the best tactic to me.

Kevin King, Principal- Essential Law Services. HTTP://ESSENTIALAW.COM, 415-562-6862. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended and should not be construed as legal advice for a particular case. This post does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author of the question answered. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult with me or another qualified attorney off-site.