Skip to main content

Citizenship in Newark NJ

Paterson, NJ |

I had my citizenship interview in Newark NJ yesterday and it was approved and I received my certificate the same day. I am thinking now about changing my name, it it still possible to go back to the Newark office and request a name change? or is it too late?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You get the oath ceremony the same day as the interview? Wow! They don't do that here. Anyway, yes, it is too late to change your name through the citizenship process. You can still go to court and file for a name change.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Eric M. Mark

Eric M. Mark


Yes, most people take the oath in NJ the same day. It's one of two sites nationwide that operate that way. It is nice.


It is too late. You can still change your name through the courts, but that process is much more complicated. Congratulations on your citizenship.


No you cannot. You will have to apply for it through the court.

Communication of information by, in, to or through this Web site and your receipt or use of it (1) is not provided in the course of and does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship, (2) is not intended as a solicitation, (3) is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice, and (4) is not a substitute for obtaining legal advice. You should not act upon any such information without first seeking qualified professional counsel on your specific matter. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon Web site communications or advertisements.


I t is too late. You should have told them during the interview, in which case it would have taken much longer for you to receive the certificate. you can always consult a lawyer if you have more questions.

This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer