Skip to main content

Citizenship by naturalization

Houston, TX |

In 2013 (21yrsold) I was charge with shoplifting but after a year of PTD my case was dismissed. Do I have to want another 5yrs to file for citizenship or can I file now because my green card expires in 2017

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am changing your practice area to immigration so you can get answers from lawyers in that area.


Yes, you need to re-post in immigration.

DISCLAIMER The answer provided above serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue.


First go see an immigration attorney and take your court papers. Different USCIS offices have different policies on how to handle the five year good moral character requirement. Its also important that you check there are no other red flags - even ones that you are not aware of. Your residency doesn't expire in 2017. Just that you will need to renew the card, and that's an extra cost. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer