Skip to main content

Citizenship and Naturalization

Phoenix, AZ |

I am a Saudi citizen and I do hold American citizenship because i was born in the U.S.
I got married 6 years ago to a Saudi Woman and I was blessed with a daughter 4 years ago. My question is how can I naturalize my daughter to have an American passport. I contacted the American embassy in my country and they told me I have to live in the U.S to do it. is that true? and What is the easiest way to naturalize my daughter.

Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you were physically present in the US for at least 5 years prior to your daughter's birth, 2 after your 14th birthday, your daughter acquired US citizenship at birth. If not you will have to move to the US in order to naturalize her.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes, you need to have lived in the US for 10 years, 5 of which were after you were 14 and all of which must have happened before she was born.

If those facts apply to your case ... then she is a US Citizen.

If not, and if you, your wife and your child are not in the US, you can sponsor them to come to the US and she will immediately become a US citizen the second her residence is approved ... which will be the day that her foot first touches US soil.

Talk to an attorney ... many of us use Skype for consultations.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Follow the link below to see if she is a citizen, if not you need to petition for her immigration status and relocate to the USA for her to become a citizen,

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer