Skip to main content

Citizen parents want to apply for child's US passport.

Fremont, CA |

My spouse and I became US Citizen five years ago, My daughter who is 17 now came to the US last year. Now i want to apply for her passport and passport office want us to show proof that she is our daughter, I sent her birth certificate( in my country we don't put mother's name) and they didn't excepted? I am totally lost? what should I show to show my relation to her.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I need more info for your case. But you need a lawyer to explain the cultural differences and you can establish legally that this is your daughter. Serious question is HOW she came in the country

Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+. *the certification is not a specialty recognized by the California State Bar.


Hire a lawyer and quit presiding in the "lost" state. It is complicated.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


In order for you to get the correct answer in you specific case you will need to provide a lot more information. Please consult an immigration attorney.


If your daughter entered on a non immigrant visa, you may not be able to get her U.S. passport by applying at the post office.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek independent and private counseling for a complete review of your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer