Skip to main content

Cited for allowing an unlicensed person operate my vehicle. How will that affect me, the owner of the car?

Charlotte, NC |

I let my friend borrow my car and he got in an accident (nothing major). He was found at fault and got a ticket for the accident and for driving without a license. I got a ticket for letting an unlicensed person drive my vehicle. How will that affect my DMV record? Will I get points on my license? Do I need to get an attorney?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should definitely hire an attorney. This is a Class 2 Misdemeanor charge, so you have things to worry about beyond just DMV points.


As stated above, your DMV record shouldn't be your only worry, a Class 2 misdemeanor usually comes with a fine and/or jail time. You should get an attorney as soon as possible.


Hire an attorney immediately. This is more than just a traffic ticket.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer to fight it


This is a class 2 misdemeanor just like no operators license is. Sometimes the DA will dismiss these charges if the responsible driver pleads guilty to the charges. Usually the State is more concerned about the driver - but you should get a lawyer to help you and make sure that the State is notified as to the outcome of the case against the driver.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer