Skip to main content

Child support garnished from wages not paid to child support agency

Cleveland, OH |

My pay stubs show that my child support is being deducted from my paycheck but the child support agency is not receiving the payments. All of my information is correct and a few payments have gone through as scheduled, but not for the past 2 months. Will I be penalized for this or will the support agency penalize my employer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Is this a new support order? If so it can take up to a few months for Ohio CSEC to catch up with the garnishments. Also the employer may have had some end of the year issue. Nevertheless hang on to your paystubs. If the issue continues for a few more months you will want to have them, in case CSEA looks at you directly.

In the meantime a phone call to your support caseworker should clear the matter up. You will want to have your SETS # handy when making the call.

Good luck and vote this answer up if you find it helpful

This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctorine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at or 330-777-0065 Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful.


Unfortunately, you will be responsible for all arrearage regardless and your employer is off the hook. This is your obligation, not your employers.

Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced situation should always consult an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information.


You need to speak with your employer and find out where those payments are, if it is a big company, your payroll and human resourced department is the place to start. Those payments need to be tracked as if the money was taken out of your paycheck, then it has to have gone somewhere.

You do not want to get dinged for something like this where you are in compliance and your employer is at fault, especially at this time of year where tax returns are being processed. Make sure you speak with your caseworker to let CSEA know what answers you are getting from your employer, and don't hesitate to share copies of your paystubs with the caseworker to show it is being deducted from your checks.

This answer is being provided as general advice only and is not to be relied upon for specific circumstances. By answering the question, no attorney-client relationship is created. As for any matter, it is best to seek consultation in person with an attorney who practices in the area of law in which you are inquiring.