Skip to main content

Child support for a non custodial parent who is non immigrant

Normal, IL |

I have my paternity test appointment next week in IL. The case was actually filed in MN.
If the test shows am the father. I have few questions in my mind.
Being a non US citizen and a non immigrant working here on a valid visa,
1. Will this impact my immigration status?
2. How will the child support be implemented once i go back to my country, India. Does US have the reciprocatory agreement?
3. If i go back, i hardly make $20-$30 usd per day, so am not sure if i can afford as am married and my parents are dependant on me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you are the father and you pay the support as ordered, it should have no effect on your non immigrant status. If you plan to leave the country, you should consult with a family law attorney before doing so in order to have your question regarding continued support answered

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


It should not impact your immigration status. You may want to seek to change the support obligation prior to your return to India. the fact that your parents are dependent on you should not affect your obligation to support your children. Kids first, parents later.


I agree with my colleagues and encourage you to meet with a family law attorney as soon as possible.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer