Skip to main content

Child Support and Passport

Voorhees, NJ |

my husband who lives in New Jersey has a problem with child support and owes $7,000. We were married last year and he wants to come and live with me in the UK. (I am UK citizen). He lost his job 6 months ago and has been finding it difficult to get a new one. We contacted the state about his arrears, they say he has to get it down to $2,500 before he can get his passport to travel. We are stuck because without a job he cant get it down. Is there a way throuh this?

I will sponser him in the UK as i have a good job, also my friend here has a job for him in the UK. We just dont know which way to go and need some help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I am assuming that the child support is for another woman's child. You and your husband need to know the UK and the US are bothj signatories to the Hague convention meaning both countries honor each other's court orders. The only way out of this is to send $5,000 to the court which ordered the amount, If your husband fails to do this, his right to a passport may be revoked, and if he does go to England and has failed to pay the support he will be deported if not jailed. England will also enforce any American order against him while he is there.
On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey
Financial Dos and Don'ts after a Divorce (written by Attorney Gabriel Cheong)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.


You may be able to file a motion for relief, particularly if your friend can attest to the job waiting for him in the U.K. This will take some special handling. I am an English solicitor as well as a New Jersey family I'm familiar with these kinds of international support issues. I live in Voorhees too. So feel free to call me. -- (856) 768-7900. -- Mark S. Guralnick

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer