Skip to main content

Child support after 18 years of age? With no previous court order set

Joliet, IL |

is it possible to fight for child support if the father was just found a year ago and the children are over the age of 18?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is too late to seek child support if there has been no previous order for support and the child is 18 and has graduated from high school.


Not if there has never been a prior order for support.


Why didn't you go back to court a year ago? It is too late now.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.



The dad was just found thru Facebook out of all places. And heis out of state


not sure that i agree. if the parents were never married to each other, then it is a parentage case. if he is not yet legally the father, and if he has been hiding, then a parentage case could be filed now. 750 ilcs 45/8b. the court can order child support before the date of the service of summons in limited cases. this may be one of those cases. 750 ilcs 45/14b.

go see a lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer