Skip to main content

Child Custody-Significant Other’s Background Check and home Evaluation

New York, NY |

My Son’s Mother admitted she stays at her new boyfriends house with my Son, even going as far as to say my son sleep on his bed!
We have started a Custody battle; can I request to have a drug and background check of her new boyfriend and all parties who reside in his house? As well as a home evaluation?... I don’t know who this guy is and at times my son’s mother does not tell me who my son stays with when not with her.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Well, when you say "stays," does this mean she lives there, or just visits occasionally? The Court will generally only order such "background" checks of people who have significant caretaking responsibilities with the child. Moreover, the Court will not generally order drug testing unless there's an allegation of prior drug use. In any event, you're encouraged to schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.



Visits occasionally, i'll says weekly... the way she is making it seem is he is in my son life Significantly (which he is not, she is doing this to piss me off)... just wanted to teach her a lesson of trying to taunt me with BS.


If there is an issue of drug usage, then a request is appropriate. If it is just a desire to know, them it is not appropriate. Consult with a local family law attorney. Custody cases are difficult to handke on a pro se basis.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer