Skip to main content

Charged With petty theft, didnot steal can charges be dropped

Winter Haven, FL |

I was charged with petty theft 2nd offence. I HAVE NEVER BEEN CHARGED/ARRESTED WITH ANYTHING IN MY LIFe before this so how can theycharge me with a second offence. I was at walmart with a girl who was shop lifting, I didnot steal anything I put my belongings in my cart and paid for my items. She took all. responsibility for The theft. and I was still arrested. The officer said that He believes my charge Will be dropped but how likely is that and will I be able to get it off my record. Or if they're not dropped whats likely to happen. I don't get how I can be charged with a 2nd offence when ive never been arrested or how I can be charged at all when I didn't steal anything. &&ive recently found out that the girl I was with have a prior petty theft charge

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need an attorney ASAP. Often times everyone with the person shoplifting gets arrested. You have some good defenses available to you so don't try to do this yourself. You could have been charged with a second offense by mistake or there could be someone with the same name they're mixing you up with. Get an attorney.


Hire an attorney ASAP. You have defenses.

David R. Damore, Esq., Damore, Delgado, Romanik & Rawlins, Daytona Beach, FL, (386) 255-1400. Mr. Damore is a former Volusia and Broward County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.


When you get to court, they will probably not put it on as a second offense.

It can be dropped but there is no assurance they will be. You should contact a local criminal defense lawyer. Now.

That a person is innocent does not mean they won't be convicted, unfortunately.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:


If you were with a person who stole something, it sometimes happens cops or security people believe you and he/she were "in it together." It's a little like guilt by association but it happens all the time. The only real way out is a trial at which the state will have to prove you and she were actually accomplices to the crime. You'll need a lawyer for this ma'am, and make sure you get a criminal defense laweyr for this one because what he/she has to do here is force the issue, which is not as simple as boiling water.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer