Skip to main content

Charged with felony false statements in gwinnett what is jail time and estimate of fee to avoid jailtime?

Duluth, GA |
Attorney answers 6


Hire a lawyer to represent you.


If you've been charged with a crime, you should hire an attorney to represent you. If you can't afford an attorney to represent you in a criminal matter, the court can appoint you a public defender. Once you hire an attorney and discuss all of the facts with him, he should be in the best possible position to answer your question about how to avoid jailtime.

Christopher Scott Ison, Esq - 863.683.7500 - WWW.PANSLER.COM - These answers are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. These answer are not intended as legal advice either. If you would like legal advice as to your specific issue, you should contact an attorney to represent and/or advise you. If you are interested in retaining my office for legal advice and/or representation, please contact my office for a free initial consultation.


If you're charged with a felony you should already have hired counsel. I suspect your question is partly about what it will cost, and you'd have to call criminal attorneys and discuss their fees with them to answer that. As for how long you could go to prison, no one could make a guess with the limited facts you posted.

I changed the topic you posted in since you posted this in an area of AVVO directed to lawyers suing others for personal injuries and this is a criminal defense question. That means criminal lawyers on AVVO did not see your question until now.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Have you gotten a court date, yet? I would suggest consulting with an attorney by phone or in person to get a better answer to your question. Many of the answers will depend on the facts of the case, your prior history, and whether your court date is coming up soon. If you would like to discuss your case in more detail, my number is 404-217-6978.


An experienced lawyer might be able to help get that case reduced to a misdemeanor. Call me at 404-812-4305 if you want to discuss this in detail.


You are looking at a maximum of 5 years on the false statements charge and 12 months on the no license charge. The hit and run can either be a felony or misdemeanor according to the circumstances. If nobody was seriously injured (a factor which may or may not have been determined), then the crime is a misdemeanor subject to a maximum 12 month sentence. If there was a serious injury or death, hit and run is a felony and is subject to a maximum 5 year sentence. Of course, if there is a death, you could also be charged with vehicular homicide (a 15 year felony) if the State could prove that your leaving the accident without rendering aid was the proximate cause of the person's death (i.e., they would have survived had you rendered aide).

Without more information, nobody can quote you a fee or tell you what your likelihood of serving time is in this particular case. Normally, false statement cases are probation cases. However, you have a more complicated case involving an auto accident. There are many variables that go into the determination of whether you will do time in this case. Call me for a free consultation.

Allen R. (Rusty) Knox
125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
Kennesaw, GA 30144
(678) 334-1399

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer