Skip to main content

Charged with DUI in 2010 and all charges dropped. This still shows on a DMV print out, how can one get this expunged?

Sacramento, CA |

Ok, so the question portion is far too small to truly ask this. There was a DUI charged back in 2010 and all charges were dropped due to chemical tests coming back under the legal limit. This person just went to DMV to obtain a print out and noticed that the charged offense is still on the aforementioned printout even though there was no conviction. I know that being convicted of a DUI offense stays on your record for 10 years, but having one thrown out it still stays on your driving record? I can't seem to find a straight answer for this and my next stop will be referring this person to possibly calling the courts. Any insight will be appreciated, thanks!

And there was no license suspension to follow this due to everything being dropped.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Kind of like criminal arrest record, on a DMV printout, an alcohol related driving incident is recorded. Whether it turns into a suspension or a conviction is a different thing. It really doesn't matter unless there was an actual suspension or actual conviction as a result of the incident.


That's why its important to not just sit on things. It might have been possible t seal the arrest, maybe it still is. He should contact the attorney he had at the time or speak to some local attorneys and bring that DMV print-out with him.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


I agree.. You can't expunge it if there was never a conviction. It will always be on your "arrest" record unless you can win a motion re: factual innocence. Talk to an attorney and see what your options are. It should not matter as long as there is NO conviction.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer