Charged wit petit larceny- dropped to disorderly conduct. After 5 years to prove good moral character, is citizenship possible

Nanuet, NY |

Hello, I was charged for petit larceny then it was dropped to disorderly conduct. After I wait for 5 years to prove good moral character, do you think I will have an issue with citizenship?

Thank you

Yes

Hello, Yes, as I will have an issue, or yes, as I can get citizenship? Thank you.

John M. Cromwell

John M. Cromwell

Yes, it will be an issue, but it also should not prevent you from getting citizenship, especially after 5 years. Hire an immigration lawyer to help you.

Thank you

Consult an immigration lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Thank you

You should speak to an immigration attorney. I've changed the topic of your question. You should receive some relevant responses.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Thank you. Let me try

Yes you have an issue but not one that cannot be overcome. If your immigration attorney desires, an attorney can move to vacate your plea and replace it with an ACD or dismissal, providing your original counsel failed to advise you of immigration consequences.