Skip to main content

Changing Bank account title with Living Trust to an individual/personal name

Foster City, CA |


I have a Living Trust prepared in year 2000, and added all bank account and other asset details to the trust. The bank account titles were thus changed from my name to the Living trust title.

Since 2000, I have been gradually pulling out assets from the living trust. Now I have only 1 bank account in the trust.

Now, I wish to revert the bank account title to my name and not to be in the living trust.
The bank is declining this request - they state that once an account is added to trust, it cannot be reverted.
I have sent them a written request notarized, but did not help.

My Living trust at present has no other assets other than this bank account. What is the easiest way out. Should I revoke the Living Trust and send the notification to the bank.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The easy way is simply to close the account and open a new one. If it is a CD or other account which cannot be closed without a penalty simply do not renew it and transfer the funds to another account at maturity. This is a common occurrence. Banks frequently insist on closing an account as opposed to changing account holders.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Closing account is probably the easiest solution. However, I would consider doing a new trust if the old trust no longer meets your needs or estate planning goals. A Living Trust enables you to appoint a Trustee to handle your finances for you in the event you are disabled without having to go to court to have a Conservator or Guardian appointed. It also allows you to transfer your assets at death to your beneficiaries in a private manner without a court probate. I would recommend that you speak to an estate planning attorney.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this answer is based on current Oregon law. It should not be construed as specific legal advice by Law Office of Eden Rose Brown, or its attorneys. Neither this answer nor use of its information creates an attorney-client relationship. If you have specific legal questions, consult your own attorney or call us for an appointment at 503-581-1800.


It sounds like something is missing from your question. That said, the simplest way would be to just withdraw all the money and take it to a different bank.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.