Skip to main content

Changing B2 visa to F1 Visa

Huntington Beach, CA |

I am a visitor currently with a B2 visa. After 2 weeks here, I decided that I would like to further my studies here. My I-94 will expire in early November. Will I be able to change my visa to F1 before that? How likely are the chances of me getting my F1 visa changed approved?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I've had very good luck getting those approved for my clients. I'd wait until you were here for three months before I send it in. You don't want USCIS to think you are trying to get around the normal consular process.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


I am not sure about waiting. F1 is a non-immigrant visa. If you decided to study, I say go for it. Talk to DSO in the school of choice.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Wait until you are here for 60 days before applying for a change of status.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Only file for a change of status at least 60 days after your arrival. You'll be accused of visa fraud otherwise

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


The problem you face is that you can only begin studies once you are in F-1 status. Processing time for changes of status is several months. The fastest way to be in student status is to go home and apply for an F-1 visa stamp there.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.