Skip to main content

Change of venue for family law?

Fresno, CA |

how would i go about doing a change of venue? the other party to the case works in the courts where the case is to be hear and i dont feel its right. they have already got stuff changed around for there liking. please help

no its not in fresno but some where near by. a lot more to the case. the other party that took my child one lawyer other is a judge commissioner.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This sounds very much like another question that was posted from Fresno within the last couple of days. I suspect that answers won't change much. Because of the unique circumstances you outline, you really need to work with an experienced family law attorney. You can consult with a lawyer about your question for little or no cost through a lawyer referral service in your area. You can find your nearest lawyer referral service by clicking on the link below.

If you found this response helpful, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this response. Thank you. Mr. Richardson practices in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, and concentrates in non-adversarial dispute resolution as a mediator and collaborative lawyer. The California State Bar Board of Legal Specialization certifies Mr. Richardson as a specialist in California Family Law. He offers no comments or advice with respect to the laws of any state or jurisdiction other than California. The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. Mr. Richardson is not your lawyer unless and until you and he have personally met together. This post does not constitute legal advice, and no lawyer client relationship results.


The short answer is "no." Jurisdiction nor venue can be changed because one party works in that court.

While it may be true that the judge in a given hearing was unfair, it may also be true you simply didn't like the outcome. Th-ta is the nature of family law when the courts are involved. 100% of the time, one party feels it wasn't fair.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.


You have not met the elements for a change of venue therefore I suggest you meet with an attorney in your area and go over the facts with them. What often times is perceived as not fair is powered by the party not getting their way. If you feel you have been wrong meet with an attorney and see what they suggest.

Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free consultations.

Note this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on. Each situation is fact specific and court specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer