Skip to main content

Change of sponsor from parents to friend. Still ok?

Lexington, MA |

I received my F1 visa in september 2012 (Valid until 2017) sponsored by my parents in my home country Germany. After 2 semesters I decided to transfer. Then came the problem that my parents couldn't afford it anymore to pay for my studys.
During the 10 months I lived int he US, my (american) roomate became my "best friend', contact person etc here in America. I would say he is my family here, but like a brother. He is not my boyfriend. My roomate suggested to sponsor me. For him it isnt a lot of money, he can afford it. So I could apply and I just received the acceptance letter.
I am planning to travel home next week and I am afraid on my way back into the US that they could not let me enter the US because my sponsor is "only" a friend.
Do I need to worry about this? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The school did not have any problems with the sponsorship, as long as he has the funds and pays the tuition.

There is always a risk when re-entering the US. Speak to your DSO at the school and determine exactly everything you need to bring with you when you travel.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC,, 888-645-6272, , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleague.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


Yes you do have problem if the officer asked you about it but will he? I don't know. Your DSO may be able to guide you with this. Or else talk to an attorney. best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.