Skip to main content

Change in venue

Norwalk, CA |

a criminal law judge was assigned to a family law case, i would like to change the venue to get a family law judge, what forms do i need?

+ Read More

Filed under: Filing a lawsuit
Attorney answers 3


You can't have it transferred just because you don't like the judge.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456


This is not a change of venue, and you don't get to pick your judge. However, if you believe that the assigned judge is biased toward you or your attorney, you can file a peremptory challenge to the judge pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure section 170.6.

The form for Los Angeles Superior Court is:

Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice for a particular case. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult with your own attorney.


venue means where the case will be heard, such as another county. there are specific grounds for venue change, and you likely dont have them. if you dont want this judge to hear the case, you can file a 170.6 challenge. You are allowed one such challenge in the case. That judge will then be disqualified to hear the case,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer