Skip to main content

Chances of getting back child support?

Seattle, WA |

My son is 7 months old, and 2 months in to his life, his donor decided to run off. He has been running from child support for months now, and they are finally catching up with him. And when they do, I'd like a hearing for child support because he put my family into debt by not buying his child a damn thing (I couldn't work because I was in school and caring for a baby with NO help) do you think I have a better chance at getting my back support with an attorney? Many thanks :)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Donor? what agreement do you have, does he have a job? if he is a bum, and attorney can not get blood out of a stone.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.


Cooperate with DCS, and participate in any hearing that is set. Child support and arrears will be set by DCS (unless the dad files a motion in court). It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child support for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes