Skip to main content

Chances of aggravated assault being reduced in Houston, Tx?

Houston, TX |

charged with aggravated assault impede breath circulation chances of it getting dismissed. Can wife drop charges? Will it make a difference?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Wife cannot drop charges. You need a good lawyer because you are facing serious charges and Harris County has a special division to handle cases in which complainants become uncooperative.

Cynthia Henley


Your wife cannot "drop charges." Criminal charging decisions in every American state are made by the police and District Attorney. Private citizens who are victims of crime can call the police and cooperate with the DA's efforts to prosecute the case, but that's it. There is no such thing as "pressing charges" aside from that.

I am not licensed to practice in Texas, but I can tell you that no one can tell you with any certainty what is likely to happen in a case based on so little information as is here. You need to consult with your own attorney, in private. You have the right to be appointed an attorney to represent you if you can't afford one.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


Your wife cannot dismiss charges. Most prosecutors will consider the victim's desires. However, in my experience handling domestic violence cases, I doubt the charges would be dismissed. You need a good lawyer.

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,