Skip to main content

Challenging a writ of execution on a corporation

Greenville, NC |

I own a corporation. Local tax office took out a writ of execution for payment of $5400 in back taxes, property taxes on a rental property. They had the wrong address on file so have not gotten a bill for several years. If there was a court case or judgement, I was not notified of it, or it was mailed to the wrong address. I offered to pay $400/month toward the debt but they will not make payment arrangements for less than $800/month or they said they will foreclose. Is there a way to challenge whatever judgement was issued?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You are obligated to pay ad valorem taxes regardless of receipt of the bill. Non-payment subjects the property to foreclosure. Failure of service might give you the opportunity to redeem the property if sold at foreclosure, and could require the tax office to have to redo its filings, but the tax office has no obligation to agree to installment payments of any kind. I would hire an attorney to raise your issues and try and negotiate, but the bottom line will still be, pay the taxes or risk losing the property.
Good Luck...

COMMUNICATIONS MADE THROUGH AVVO DO NOT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND ALL ANSWERS TO ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU WISH FOR MY FIRM TO REPRESENT YOU, PLEASE CONTACT ME DIRECTLY AT MGGORENFLO@GBCNCLAW.COM, AND IF WE AGREE TO REPRESENTATION, AN ENGAGEMENT LETTER WILL BE PROVIDED. ALL ANSWERS ARE INTENTED FOR LEGAL ISSUES GOVERNED UNDER NORTH CAROLINA LAWS ONLY. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with the requirements of IRS Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication or attachment hereto is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication or attachment.