Caused an accident. Made sure everyone was alright. Left the scene. Turned myself in the next day.

Huntington Beach, CA |

I was making a left turn and didn't see the car coming towards me. The other car hit my right side. The driver was very angry and distraught. I apologized profusely and held her in my arms to console her. We made sure that her passenger was ok. When I saw the neighbors staring, I got spooked and just snuck away.

I left my car there so I knew that they had my info. Anyways, I stayed up all night and decided to call and turn my self in in the morning. The police came and took my statement. They were skeptical that I ran just because I was scared. Asked if I was drinking. I wasn't. Investigation is ongoing. Should I hire an attorney? I'm afraid that I'll get locked up for a childish mistake that I'm sure only accounted to property damage. Now I'm a criminal.

This is a potentially serious matter. You should indeed hire an attorney to assist you with the situation.

If they're claiming injuries, you could be looking at felony hit and run charges. If the injuries are minor or it's only property damage, you could face misdemeanor hit and run charges.

They may have assumed or speculated you were drinking, but without proof that you were under the influence, they could never prove a DUI case against you.

Under any of the circumstances, you're facing criminal charges that carry points on your DMV history, probation, potential jail time and/or fines and other punishment. Yes, it's worth an attorney to see what can be worked out and try to minimize the impact to you and try and avoid a conviction if at all possible.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Frank Marvin Nunes

Frank Marvin Nunes

For some reason this was posted as a car accident matter. It is best handled by a criminal defense attorney.

Scott J. Corwin

Scott J. Corwin

Get yourself a good criminal defense lawyer.

Speak with your insurance carrier. Make no statements. Your only criminal act would be to be so hard on yourself. Your insurance will represent you. It was an acciident, toss the guilty thought s aside before you hurt yourself.

Guy Irvin Wade III

Guy Irvin Wade III

We've been had. This was posted by DK. She is indeed getting trickier.

Its right to seek help by hiring a lawyer. It could be serious with injuries as Mr. Dane stated. If you have insurance that helps. I offer free consultations for this type of matter where you need answers. This happens fairly often but its not too late to start making good choices to protect yourself.

Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.

Scott J. Corwin

Scott J. Corwin

Daniel is correct.

You will need an attorney. Depending upon the extent of the injuries you could be looking at a felony hit and run. At this point do not make any statements about the accident. You can call my office for a free consultation.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

Scott J. Corwin

Scott J. Corwin

True.

You need to retain an attorney before speaking further with the police. You will probably be charged with hit and run.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Hire a lawyer. Make no further statements until you do.

I am not your lawyer and an answer on AVVO is not intended as legal advice but is provided for general informational purposes only. If you desire legal advice, please consult a lawyer and form an attorney client relationship.

Guy Irvin Wade III

Guy Irvin Wade III

Thanks for the helpful vote D. Nice work again. I guess you're not insane. Just playful.