Skip to main content

Caught shoplifting but go to college in another state?

El Paso, TX |

This occurred over a week ago and I need to fly to Oregon to start school. The amount was 90$ and it was a class B misdemeanor. Is there any way I can negotiate to turn myself in later or can I have an attorney go to court for me? What are some options?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hire a lawyer!!! You may be able to make arrangements go to court early, hopefully get in pretrial diversion, and avoid a conviction.

This case IS the most important thing in your life right now because you do not want to get a conviction for a crime of moral turpitude!! And, you want to have the best chance of settling the matter in a manner that allows it to be expunged from your record. Theft cases can haunt you for life.

Cynthia Henley


You'll have to hire a defense attorney. It typically takes awhile (as in possibly a few months) for a case to get filed and receive a First Setting with the court. The attorney may be able to get your appearance waived with proof that you are in school out of state. A local attorney will be able to discuss all the available options and likely outcomes in your jurisdiction.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


I agree with Ms. Henley and Ms. Jaggers.

Put more bluntly, you made a mistake. You need to now get your priorities in order. Get a good criminal defense lawyer working on this ASAP.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


Yes, this can be arranged. A person can have their presence at court waived with the proper request filed by an attorney. Please also remember that you do not want to plea to a theft charge, because of the serious consequences of a theft conviction.

Please remember that this response was made generally to a general question posted on a web site. The advice was provided free of charge and is intended to provide guidance and encouragement for you to seek a practitioner in your local area. If you needed this assistance, that should show that the area of law you are researching is deep subject and open to possible multiple interpretations. Please go talk to a local attorney.