Caught shoplifting alcohol from winco what should I do?

Eureka, CA |

I was caught walking out of the store with a bottle and two energy drinks in my jacket. They were very forceful right off the bat and put me in handcuffs. I was completely compliant but said (when forcefully grabbed) "I didn't think you could touch me like that". They took me to their office, interrogated me, and filled out a criminal report. When I asked whether or not their report said that I was compliant they said (and I quote) "what you said sounded like something someone might say before they run away". They also asked me a bunch of questions which now that I think about it seemed like they were trying to get me to confess to burglary. A few times they asked each other what I said (not me) and completely misquoted me. What do I do if they made me sound worse in that report?

Best Answer

Sounds like you have already gone to juvenile court and have a lawyer whether it is a private one or public defender. You should be discussing your case with your lawyer and not post facts here since it is a public forum. Juvenile proceedings are different from adult court. Factors considered are past conduct (prior law enforcement contact and juvenile proceedings), how you are doing in school (including grades problems at school and attendance), problems at home like not listening to your parents and not being home when you are supposed to. If this is a first time offense, there are various ways to resolve your case without major impacts for your future. You need to talk to your attorney if you have one to discuss various options. If your issue is the conduct of the officers that may be a civil rights issue although I am not sure if you can find a civil rights attorney to take your case. Bottom line is that you should talk and discuss your case with your attorney.

I am not a juvenile, have no priors, and have a 4.0 in community college. I haven't even been given an arraignment notice yet, so no public defender (which is what I'm counting on). Did I post any incriminating facts? I'm really not trying to start a civil case over the way I was treated, because I can't afford an attorney. I just want to know how their misquoting me will play out when my criminal charges come, or if that will give my PD any ammunition. I would also like to thank you for your reply, feels good just having my post read by a CA attorney.

Sorry for the quadruple post. I want to add, however, that I was 'citizens arrested' and not booked by police, though they did come.

Joshua Kaizuka

Joshua Kaizuka

Since you posted in the juvenile section, assumed it was a juvi case. In most cases, a store loss prevention person is a private citizen. For misdemeanors not committed in the officer's presence, a citizen's arrest request is usually required. If you were given a citation after the police showed up, make sure to carefully review it to make sure that there isn't some type of requirement to show up in court on a certain day. If you get a notice to appear, show up and after the judge tells you what you are being charged with, ask for a public defender if you cannot afford a private defense lawyer. Review the police report with him or her and explain your side of the story to determine what evidence if any, the prosecution has relating to the offense. You definately do not need a criminal conviction on your record starting life out as an adult with a 4.0.

Don't make any statements about this incident to anyone other than your attorney.

DS Criminal Law Group
515 South Flower Street
36th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90071
213-289-9400