Skip to main content

Case Information Sheet Help needed- Divorce

Newark, NJ |

My husband has full control over all finances in our marriage and keeps all bills/records away from the marital home, I am left with very little information about our expenses and assets to fill in on my CIS, how do I best proceed? He refuses any and all communication with me at this time. He provides essentially no support to the household now, I am a stay at home mom relying on meager savings and friends and family to help financially.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


It sounds like you are the victim of a form of domestic violence. First of all, you should not be attempting to handle a divorce by yourself pro se, you should be seeking the counsel of an experienced local attorney. Second, you should reach out to the domestic violence organization in your county for additional guidance, services and counseling. They may even be able to find you pro bono legal assistance. The fact that you have no income of your own, your attorney will help you file a motion for pedente lite support, which is temporary support (similar to alimony) until the divorce is finalized.


I agree with the first answer, and would add that this is something that you should consult with an attorney. You may be entitled to have some of your fees covered by your husband. A CIS is required to proceed in a divorce so that the Court has a statement of what your lifestyle is. Also, without a CIS a court can dismiss your claim in the divorce, you don't want that to happen.

The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. File an application in court requesting attorney fees for a retainer. In your certification state what you just stated here. He is up to no good.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


As others have said - get to an attorney. You need to explore the limits of what is legal as far as getting information under these circumstances. If you can demonstrate he has the ability to provide a retainer, the court will order him to do so. Getting those proofs together is the key.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.


The case information statement should be complete but is not expected to be accurate; it is a summary document. So, use your best estimates to answer it. Additionally, there are places to note where you can include footnotes as explanation and you should indicate that you are estimating because your husband has control of the documents.

Here is a free e-book that may help you prepare:

You should consider meeting with an attorney well-versed in these areas. I recommend you seek a law firm that concentrates in family law. This concentration allows the attorneys to better understand the issues and complexities of you matter.

Additionally, below are links to articles and information that may assist you with your case.

Good luck.
Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
The Micklin Law Group
187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
Nutley, NJ 07110

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.