Case has settled, but still haven't received check from lawyer. Who should I contact?

Boca Raton, FL |

I have not been able to reach my attorney for 3 weeks. It has been 2 months since case was settled. Is there another way to locate money and who should I notify?

I think two months is a long time, and the fact that you have not been able to reach your attorney for three weeks is troubling. There may be a reasonable explanation for it, for example, your attorney may be trying to settle liens and medical bills. If your attorney has an office I suggest you go there, daily, until you get an answer.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

Have you sent a letter to your lawyer by a method where you can prove receipt? You should send a letter by fax or certified mail so you can prove that it was received, and request status on funding of the settlement, and a written accounting of how the settlement funds will be distributed.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Don't be passive. Go to see your lawyer. If somehow you can't get to him or her, send a certified letter asking for an immediate meeting. Send it return receipt requested. Also, just keep in mind that there may be a really good explanation. For example, the lawyer could be in a long trial.

You may have a very busy personal injury lawyer representing you. If you don't hear anything from your lawyer after thirty days since your last conversation or last letter or signing the settlement statement then call and leave this message "I'm concerned you haven't contacted me since settling the case and If I don't hear back from you within the next 24 hours I am contacting the Florida Bar Association at the toll free number listed on the copy of Statement of Client Rights you gave me at the beginning of the case."