Skip to main content

Car accident case

Irvine, CA |

On 9/25/2013 I was hit directly by a car when I crossed the crossroad with the pedestrian green light on. I have hired an attorney by contacting the assitant via the yellow page on 9/27/2013. I have been directed to see a doctor about 4 to 5 times now. Up to now I have not seen or talked to the attorney. I do not feel comfortable with that assistant. I may want to rehire any accident attorney now. Can I have any attorney to take over this case? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


You should ask to speak with the attorney. If the attorney is not available, you should tell the assistant to have the attorney call you right away. You can have any attorney represent you and can change attorneys at any time.

Disclaimer The information contained in this answer and Website is provided for general informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter or any particular claim or case. No recipients of content from this answer and site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this answer and site without first seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this answer and Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, strategy, laws, verdicts or settlements. This Attorney and Firm expressly disclaim all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this answer, general page and entire Website.


Sorry to hear about your accident. To answer your question, you absolutely have the right to have another attorney take over your case. Hope this helps.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.


Yes. You have the right to change attorneys.

This is not intended to be legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. You should contact an attorney for further information.


You indicate that you "hired an attorney by contacting the assistant." But you can only hire an attorney on a contingency basis by signing a written contract. Did you sign a fee agreement?

Even if you did, you can change lawyers at any time. You might try the "Find a Lawyer" tool on this website, or ask your friends for referrals. But I for one would be extremely hesitant to hire an attorney I hadn't met.

Good luck.


Some excellent attorneys advertise (may I respectfully include myself). That said, arguably the best way to choose an attorney is through recommendations. Regardless, an attorney should always respond to reasonable requests for contact within a reasonable time (in my view, within 24 hours). You have the right to change lawyers. The sooner the better. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


yes, but tell the assistant first you feel this way and ask to speak with or meet with the attorney.

Every situation is different, and good legal advice cannot be given based on a short question without an exploration of all the facts that may bear on your situation. This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established.


You should not only be able to speak to your attorney at any time, but he or she should have gone out of their way to meet with you personally. You are not getting the service that you deserve and for which the attorney expects to take a fee. Change now. There are others out there who would break a leg to meet personally with you.

Thomas Edwin Martin

Thomas Edwin Martin


Sorry, no pun intended in that last line.


I live and work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is your gut instinct is right that you may need to hire a new lawyer and you have right to switch at anytime without talking to the lawyer. Moreover it sounds like the accident is completely the other persons fault so you don't want this case to become a difficult one because of lack of inattention. Our firm does not usually settle cases until the client is 100%. We look at the case as a whole and attempt to figure out what the settlement should be. The insurance company will make you believe that your case is worth very little... Regarding pain and suffering, you need to speak to an experienced attorney that can strategize your case. Just because you were in an accident doesn't mean you have pain and suffering, at least thats what the insurance companies think. Make no doubt about it you have a great case, but you need help from a professional. You are entitled to your medical bills being covered as well.

Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hired can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case. There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled cases and/or spoken to clients in the Irvine, CA area.

Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that the insurance company will offer you by yourself. Make your life easier and call an attorney today, you won't regret it. We give free consultations!

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


You shouldn't just get any attorney.....get a top-rated Avvo attorney....


Be careful of firms where you don't get to meet with the atty, and they direct you to a doctor or chiropractor. If I were you, Id consult with another injury lawyer in your area asap, and make sure you meet with the atty him/herself. If you are going to switch attys, the sooner the better.


I would ask to speak with the attorney. Most of us are happy to talk to clients if the client doesn't feel comfortable with how their case is going.

That said, most attorneys also have to employ assistants, case managers, paralegals etc. in order to coordinate medical care and keep everyone's file organized and on track, so you won't deal with the attorney only at a law firm most times.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer