Skip to main content

Car accident and other insurance wants to pay for repair. am I breaking the law if I decide not to repair my car?

East Palo Alto, CA |

The insurance agreed to pay for repairs and I am not sure if I wanna repair the car. So I am thinking of just keeping the check. Will probably be paid for repair AND RENTAL fees for the time it would have taken.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You are not breaking the law unless you are telling a lie to the insurance carrier.

Good luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


You are not breaking the law unless your claim is fraudulent. If you receive monies for estimated repairs and rental fees and choose to pocket them that is your prerogative. However, if you decide later that you really do need to make the repairs you cannot ask for more money from the insurance company down the road since you have already been "compensated" for the repair costs.


They may want to send the check directly to the auto body shop.


You have the right to retain the money and not repair the vehicle.

Marc Lazarus


You can keep the check. However you run the risk that if you subsequently want to repair the car and once that process begins they find additional damage you are unlikely to get that paid for - whereas repairing now it all gets taken care of.


Nope! You're not breaking the law because the property damage is real and occurred. Whether you decide to repair the property damage or not is your own choice.

Direct Line to Attorney: 877-427-2752 or Email:; Website: I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


That is your property damage award. You can decide what you want to do with it. So no you are not breaking the law.

*Disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I. I am not your lawyer and I am not representing you in the underlying issue stated in your question. The response I have offered is not intended to be relied upon, you should seek out an attorney to assist in this matter. You may contact me directly at (415) 362-6765 ext.120; website: (Attorney for Law Offices of William E. Weiss)

Wendy Ha Chau

Wendy Ha Chau


I mean property damage settlement.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer